Tang Dynasty Sword
Chinese Tang Dynasty sword (or Tang Dao), the ancestor of Japanese swords, was one of the greatest inventions in Tang dynasty.
There are 4 types of Tang Dao:
YI Dao (Ceremony Sword)
- Design: most sophisticated high level craftsmanship involved. Longer handle for 2 handed use with detailed ring pommel. come with detail engraved noble metal fitting . straight
/inserted blade with "angular tip". Damascus
- Purpose: specific weapons that only equipped to royal guards and high position military officers.
- Ancestor of Japanese,Korean and
- Design: long handle 2 handed sword around
- Purpose: battlefield weapon. Also known as cutting horse sword
Zhang Dao & Heng Dao
- Design: short handle with no pommel. Has wrist band attached to handle ensure soldiers won’t lose their swords during battles.
- Purpose: Carried by normal soldier
The sword you are viewing is named “Tang Dynasty Lotus ring pommel two handed dao”
We designed and produced this particular traditional Tang dynasty sword for 2010 movie “Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame” http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1123373/