Tang Dynasty Sword
Chinese Tang Dynasty sword (or Tang Dao), the ancestor of Japanese swords, was one of the greatest inventions in Tang dynasty.
There are 4 types of Tang Dao
Yi Dao (ceremony sword)
- Design : most sophisticated high level craftsmanship involved. Longer handle for 2 handed use with detailed ring pommel. come with detail engraved noble metal fitting . straight Damascus/inserted blade with “angular tip”
- Purpose: specific weapons that only equipped to royal guards and high position military officers.
- Ancestor of Japanese , Korean and Tibet swords.
- Design: long handle 2 handed sword around 140CM.
- Purpose: battlefield weapon. Also known as cutting horse sword
Zhang Dao & Heng Dao
- Design: short handle with no pommel. Has wrist band attached to handle ensure soldiers won’t lose their swords during battle
- Purpose: Carried by normal soldier
The sword you are viewing is named “Tang Dynasty Lotus ring pommel 2 handed dao”
We designed and produced this particular traditional Tang dynasty sword for 2010 movie “Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame” http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1123373/
Blade is hand fold-forged Damascus with inserted high carbon steel blade. clay tempered and water quenched by traditional method.
One side of blade has ancient Chinese engraving: “Riding horse on the moon light from the East” and special Enlightenment sword stamp as the quality approval.
The other side of blade has brass inlay the royal lotus design pattern
12 times Hand polished and sharpened, this blade is surgical sharp and should only be handle with respect
Thick tang go all way through the handle and secured by 2 metal pins for maximum strength.
All fittings are detailed molded copper with engraving of lotus pattern theme.
Genuine ray-skin handle with black string wrapping. Scabbard is made from high quality black sandalwood.
Overall, it is a very prestige looking sword with unique value. Only few were made and only 2 pieces in NZ, each one comes with its own collection certificate.